Rainforest and the Reef
October 8 @ 8:00 am - October 12 @ 5:00 pm
Date: Monday, October 8th – Friday, 12th
Group Size: 6 Photographers
Spend five days in a small group photography workshop capturing some of Far North Queensland’s spectacular sights. Visiting some of the most beautiful rainforest and beach landscapes are only a couple of the things we will do, along with touring the ‘waterfall circuit’ and maybe even some crocodile spotting in the Daintree rainforest; the world’s oldest living rainforest.
Transport will be via luxury 4WDs, with water always close at hand for your comfort. Accommodation for our stay will be in the heart of Cairns, which will give us access to all of our locations, including Port Douglas. If you still have some energy after a full day’s shooting, there will be time for visiting Cairns in the evening to capture some night shots. For those who are keen, a great way to finish the workshop is with a helicopter flight over the Great Barrier Reef. Needless to say, we’ll have the doors taken off so we can get some amazing images!
– Extension: You may be interested in a three-day extension to the beautiful Green Island, out on the Great Barrier Reef. The Green Island Resort having a total of just 46 rooms, is surrounded by rainforest and is the only thing that exists on that coral cay. From there you can capture beautiful sunrises and sunsets, snorkel with turtles and reef life, take a boat trip to the main part of the reef, or of course relax poolside or on the beach and enjoy the luxury of the resort.
- Photograph some of the most picturesque sights Far North Queensland has to offer;
- Visit numerous waterfalls, beautiful coastlines, National Parks and The Daintree; the world’s oldest living rainforest;
- Opportunity for night photography;
- 1-to-1 tuition at each location, as desired;
- General advice/suggestions at each location;
- Opportunity for some post-processing sessions;
- 4 nights accommodation in the heart of the Cairns;
- All meals during the workshop (breakfast x 5, lunch x 5, dinner x 4);
- Doors-off helicopter flight over the Great Barrier Reef (optional)
What to Bring
- Digital camera capable of operating in manual mode;
- Camera strap (helicopter flight)
- Suitable clothing – the weather in the Cairns region in October is generally quite warm with the average daily temperature ranges being 20-30C. These temperatures are often accompanied by brief tropical storms in the afternoon.
- Good, comfortable walking shoes.
- Possibly consider some form of ‘wet weather cover’ for your equipment. Your choice.
Photographic Skill Level
- Suitable for beginners to serious enthusiast.
- Moderate – during the week there will be some walking between the car park and locations. While most of the walking will be on level grade (Grade 1), there will be occasions where small inclines are involved (Grade 2).